EITHER YOU HAVE BEEN A CANDLE ENTHUSIAST FOR TOO LONG NOW OR NOT, YOU DEFINITELY SHOULD KNOW HOW TO CARE FOR YOUR CANDLE.
Here’s a few tip and tricks for you to know:
1. Always trim wick at 1/4 inch before lighting to avoid tunneling and mushrooms especially on cotton wicks.
2. Burn candle for 1 hour no less and no more than 4 hours. This is to prevent tunneling and also to prevent accidents. Always remember that wax has a burn memory, that is why the first burn is the most crucial part.
3. Always extinguish your candle before leaving the room or before going to bed. For cotton wicks, use a nonflammable material to dip your lighted wick into its own wax to avoid black soots, and coat the wick with wax for easier lighting. Use a snuffer for wood wicks.
Common Candle Problems:
1. Tunneling - The most common candle problem. This is what it looks like if your candle is not melting or has not melted evenly. This happens if you have not burned your candle long enough to heat all the wax.
2. Cotton Wick Mushrooms - This looks like the wick is fat and bulky. This happens when carbon accumulates in the wick. To avoid this, always trim the wick.
3. Wick won’t stay lit - This is common for wood wicks. This happens when the wick is unclean or too long that the flame does not reach the wax. It can also be because the wick is too short that the wax is flooding the flame itself.
Other Candle Concerns:
1. Discoloring - This is natural for candles, a slight change in color especially if the soy candles are dyed.
2. Sink holes or Lumpy Tops - You may notice that your candle has not dried up evenly after a long burn. This is a natural phenomenon in soy candles, this is the main trait of soy that proves they are pure and not mixed with other types of wax.
3. Frosting - Looks like white flakes, can appear if candles are kept in a cold temperature.
—All these will not affect the scent throw of your candle.
Troubleshooting Candle Tunneling:
1. Place a foil and cover your candle top, cut a circle in middle enough for the wick to have oxygen to keep on burning.
2. Burn your candle for more than an hour or until the melt pool is even.